top of page

Tax Collector

Carmen L. Spencer

178 Mill St.

P.O. Box 750

Chesterfield, SC 29709

Phone: 843-623-2563

Public Hours:

Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Frequently Asked Questions:

When do taxes become delinquent?

Each year, taxes become delinquent on March 17th, unless this day falls on a holiday or weekend.

I did not receive a tax bill for my real estate. Can I have the penalties taken off?

The only time we can request that the Auditor abate a penalty is when there is direct evidence that there has been an error on the part of the county.

I purchased my property this year, but the tax bill has the name of the person I bought it from instead of my name. What should I do?

The tax notices are prepared according to the owner on record as of January 1st of each year and will show your name the following year.

My property was sold at the tax sale. What can I do to retain ownership?

You may redeem your property by paying to the person officially charged with the collection of taxes, assessments, penalties and cost, together with 3%, 6%, 9% or 12% interest for 1 (one) year following the sale date.

How can I find out which properties will be sold at the delinquent tax sale?

Properties classified as delinquent will be advertised in one or more county newspapers for 3 (three) consecutive weeks prior to the tax sale each year.

Can I pay my delinquent taxes by check?

Once the tax sale process begins, we do not accept personal checks.

Can I pay my delinquent taxes via toll free phone number or online?

No. Delinquent taxes can only be paid in our office or mailed to our post office box.

Why did I get a letter or phone call from American Financial Credit Services?

American Financial Credit Services, also known as AFCS, is a third party collection agency that specializes in governmental debt recovery. If a business personal property account becomes delinquent, a notice will be sent to the address on record with the County.  Please make sure we have the most current mailing address. If you need to update your mailing address, contact the Auditor's office (843) 623-2338 for Furniture & Equipment bills or contact the Department of Revenue (DOR) at (803) 898-5222 for Business Personal Property bills. The taxpayer will have 30 days from the date of the initial notice to pay before the account is submitted to AFCS for collection. Once submitted, the account must be paid through AFCS.

Follow the link below for their website:

bottom of page